Need more comments from scientific community on python-dev

Torgil Svensson torgil.svensson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 01:38:29 EST 2006

> > It seems to me that at the python level, there's not much reason to
> > choose the dtypes proposal over ctypes.

I disagree. I can see a point in unifying ctypes and dtypes but in my
mindset they've got two different scopes.

ctypes is an interface to the c language
dtype is a data description for the python language

The biggest advantages python has over c in my mind (except the script
vs compile) is that it's dynamic and expressive. I think basing dtype
on ctypes is in that mind is simply destructive and against what I
like best with python.

ctypes mimics c's static behaviour:

class struct_type(Structure):
    _fields_ = [....]

... which is somewhat static in nature. How do you create "structures"
dynamically?

How do you do things like this in ctypes:

mytype=filter(lambda x: is_little_endian(x),map(lambda x: x==int32 and
int64 or x, old_type))
b=['gg',[1,2,3]]
mytype=dtype([{str: uint64 , list:another_type }[type(x)] for x in b])

I'm sure it's possibl but I'm also suspecting it not at all as clean
and expressive (my second argument for choosing python over c).

Since we creating something new in python isn't it best we do
something the python way and later see if we can adapt the c structure
to that rather than the other way around?  If we can't adapt ctypes to
this new thing i'm perfectly happy with leaving ctypes as is.

ctype is doing a great job on the c interaction level but is plain
ugly on the python level.