numpy.repeat TypeError: array cannot be safely cast to required type

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Fri Nov 3 14:43:25 EST 2006

George Sakkis wrote:
> Can anyone explain this ?

> array([1, 2, 3, 4, 5], dtype=uint8)

> array([1, 2, 3, 4, 5], dtype=uint8)

> array([1, 2, 3, 4, 5], dtype=uint8)

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File
> "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/core/fromnumeric.py",
> line 83, in repeat
>     return repeat(repeats, axis)
> TypeError: array cannot be safely cast to required type

It means you can't safely a value of type uint32 ('L') to a value of
type int32 ('i').  The second argument of repeat needs to be castable to
type int32.

A style note: please use the named dtypes (int32, uint32, etc) rather
than the old-style letter codes; the former is much clearer. The answer
to your question might  have been immediately apparent had you been
using named dtypes.

 Personally, I'd also prefer people use the "ones([n])" syntax instead
of the I-wish-it-were-deprecated-but-it's-too-much-to-hope-for "ones(n)"
syntax.  T

-tim