problems installing NumPy on OSX

arildna at stud.ntnu.no arildna at stud.ntnu.no
Sat Nov 4 16:22:19 EST 2006

Hi,

I'm sorry if this might seem like a stupid question to some of you,
but I have been struggling for the better part of the afternoon trying
to install NumPy on my G4 iBook, so I hope somebody can take the time
to lend me a helping hand. I have searched a little in the mail
archives and tried to follow the instructions on this page:
http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X

Python 2.5 is installed, and I have installed Apple's Developer's
Tools (i.e. the package "December 2002 Mac OS X Developer Tools"). The
GCC/G77-installation seemed to go ok.

When I try to install the FFW libraries however, I get an error
message telling me that my "C compiler cannot create executables"
(full output below).

After that I didn't really expect the installation of NumPy to work,
but I got a "permission denied"-error message that I'm not so sure is
connected to the missing FFW.

So I'm at loss... Anyone?

Many thanks,

    Arild Næss

%pwd
/Users/arildnss/Desktop/fftw-3.1.2

%./configure
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.8.0
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.8.0
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error:
C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

%pwd
/Users/arildnss/Desktop/numpy-1.0

%python setup.py build
Running from numpy source directory.
F2PY Version 2_3396
blas_opt_info:
   FOUND:
     extra_link_args = ['-Wl,-framework', '-Wl,Accelerate']
     define_macros = [('NO_ATLAS_INFO', 3)]
     extra_compile_args = ['-faltivec',
'-I/System/Library/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Headers']

lapack_opt_info:
   FOUND:
     extra_link_args = ['-Wl,-framework', '-Wl,Accelerate']
     define_macros = [('NO_ATLAS_INFO', 3)]
     extra_compile_args = ['-faltivec']

running build
running config_fc
running build_src
building py_modules sources
error: build/src.macosx-10.3-fat-2.5/numpy/distutils/__config__.py:
Permission denied