building fc6 rpm of numpy

Albert Strasheim fullung at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 18:14:28 EST 2006

Howdy

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006, Vincent Broman wrote:

> Building an rpm of numpy-1.0.1.dev3432-1 on fedora core 6 is failing for me.
> With either python-2.4.3 or 2.4.4 I try "python setup.py bdist_rpm"
> inside the source directory, and everything seems to go well except for
> many "File listed twice" messages for all kinds of files,
> and then at the end there is the error message:
>
>     error: Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found
>
> with a long list of .pyc and .pyo files.
> The same seems to happen to me with the source rpm I downloaded
> from sourceforge. And I vaguely recall the same happening with
> my fedora core 4 + updates, which I had till my recent upgrade to fc6.
>
> The list or lists of files to install are not in the %files section,
> but are generated dynamically somehow by setup.py, but I don't
> know enough about distutils to debug that.
>
> Anyone succeed with fc6 rpms or have any suggestion?

I also ran into this problem a few days ago. I'm guessing it's a bug in
either distutils or numpy.distutils.

Anyway, you can hack it to work by putting

%_unpackaged_files_terminate_build 1

in your ~/.rpmmacros. More details here:

http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/unpackaged-files/

With that in place, bdist_rpm works on my FC6 machine. rpm -qpl on the
RPM seems to indicate a "sane" RPM.

Cheers,

Albert