[OT] Why Python 'fits your brain'

Steven H. Rogers steve at shrogers.com
Fri Nov 10 08:29:58 EST 2006

Lisp has minimal syntax, as does APL, which does make them easy to learn if
you have no preconceptions about what a programming language should be.
They're rarely, if ever the first language people learn, so the strange
appearance is a barrier that offsets the basic simplicity.  They both also
have a large number of primitive functions, which adds to the cognitive
load.  Of course, when you include necessary libraries, C and Java get
pretty big too.

Maybe the types of connections are the deciding factor.  Hierarchical name
spaces may help as well, so that it's more obvious that you only need to fit
part of it into your brain as well.

Regards,
Steve