[Numpy-discussion] A reimplementation of MaskedArray

Michael Sorich michael.sorich at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 01:12:11 EST 2006

If I make some minor changes (below) to MaskedArray get and setitem

from numpyext.maskedarray import *

a = array([[1,2,3,4,5],[6,7,8,9,10]], mask=nomask)
suba = a[0]
suba[1] = masked
print a
>[[1 -- 3 4 5]
> [6 7 8 9 10]]
print suba
>[1 -- 3 4 5]

suba = a[1]
suba[1] = 10
print a
>[[1 -- 3 4 5]
> [6 10 8 9 10]]
print suba
>[6 10 8 9 10]

a = array([[1,2,3,4,5],[6,7,8,9,10]], mask=[[0,0,0,0,0],[0,1,0,0,0]])
suba = a[0]
suba[1] = masked
print a
>[[1 -- 3 4 5]
> [6 -- 8 9 10]]
print suba
>[1 -- 3 4 5]

suba = a[1]
suba[1] = 10
print a
>[[1 -- 3 4 5]
> [6 10 8 9 10]]
print suba
>[6 10 8 9 10]

### in MaskedArray ###
    def __getitem__(self, i):
        """x.__getitem__(y) <==> x[y]
Returns the item described by i. Not a copy as in previous versions.
        """
        dout = self._data[i]
        if self._mask is nomask:
            if numeric.size(dout)==1:
                return dout
            else:
                ### made changes here
                self._mask = numeric.zeros(self.shape, dtype=MaskType)
                mout = self._mask[i]
                return self.__class__(dout, mask=mout,
fill_value=self._fill_value, copy=False, flag=False)
                ### -------------
        #....
#        m = self._mask.copy()
        m = self._mask
        mi = m[i]
        if mi.size == 1:
            if mi:
                return masked
            else:
                return dout
        else:
            ### made changes here
            return self.__class__(dout, mask=mi,
fill_value=self._fill_value, copy=False, flag=False)

    def __setitem__(self, index, value):
        """x.__setitem__(i, y) <==> x[i]=y
Sets item described by index. If value is masked, masks those locations.
        """
        d = self._data
        if self is masked:
            raise MAError, 'Cannot alter the masked element.'
        #....
        if value is masked:
            if self._mask is nomask:
                _mask = make_mask_none(d.shape)
            else:
                _mask = self._mask
#===============================================================================
#                #why does the mask need to be copied?
#                _mask = self._mask.copy()
#===============================================================================
            _mask[index] = True
            self._mask = _mask
            return
        #....
        m = getmask(value)
        value = filled(value).astype(d.dtype)
        d[index] = value
        if m is nomask:
            if self._mask is not nomask:
#===============================================================================
#                #why does the mask need to be copied?
#                _mask = self._mask.copy()
#===============================================================================
                _mask = self._mask
                _mask[index] = False
            else:
                _mask = nomask
        else:
            if self._mask is nomask:
                _mask = make_mask_none(d.shape)
            else:
                _mask = self._mask
#                #why does the mask need to be copied?
#                _mask = self._mask.copy()
            _mask[index] = m
        self._mask = _mask