[Numpy-discussion] OSX 10.4 vs 10.3 - long double dynlib problem

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Wed Oct 4 19:28:27 EDT 2006

Hi,
I just compiled CVS numpy on OSX 10.4  (tiger).  Runs fine.
I was surprised when I tried to run the same mode on 10.3 (panther?)
and got a importError (dyld:...) related to missing acoshl (long double)
functions:

ImportError: Failure linking new module: :
dyld: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python
Undefined symbols:
/Volumes/haase/PrMacNPPC/numpy/core/umath.so undefined reference to
_acoshl$LDBL128 expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libmx.A.dylib
/Volumes/haase/PrMacNPPC/numpy/core/umath.so undefined reference to
_acosl$LDBL128 expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libmx.A.dylib
/Volumes/haase/PrMacNPPC/numpy/core/umath.so undefined reference to
_asinhl$LDBL128 expected to be

After asking around in my lab I was told that "long double" might pose a
problem when going backwards from 10.4 to 10.3.
(I used gfortran gcc 4.x)

Can I tell setup.py to skip "long double" support ?

Thanks,
Sebastian Haase