[Numpy-discussion] Hello and my first patch

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 5 12:33:22 EDT 2006

    Robert> IMO, I'd rather see this and similar functions go into
    Robert> scipy. New functions that apply semantics to arrays (in
    Robert> this case, treating them as time series), I think should
    Robert> go into scipy. New functions that treat arrays simply as
    Robert> arrays and are generally useful can probably go into
    Robert> numpy.

I prefer Perry's longstanding suggestion: things that do not add to
distribution complexity should go into numpy.  If it compiles as
easily as numpy itself, it should go into numpy where sensible.  It
remains a fact of life that numpy gets a wider distribution than
scipy, and some packages are hesitant to require scipy as a prereq
because of the additional complexity or building fortran, etc.  I
would be nice to have as much as possible in the most widely
distributed package IMO.

JDH