[Numpy-discussion] PyTables passes all tests with NumPy at its core

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Fri Oct 6 13:08:20 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm very happy to announce that, after several weeks of effort, PyTables is
able to run its complete test suite (made of more than 3000 test units) using
*NumPy* at its core (now numarray is just an optional package :-).

However, and before the new PyTables will hit the public (most probably
released as PyTables 2.0), we should still find more time to add more tests
(specially for numarray, which we plan to continue supporting), update
manual, and making sure that the new package deploys well on every supported
plaform. So there is a lot of work to be done yet, but things are in good
shape.

I have to say that although NumPy was an already well tested package for
homogeneous data containers, PyTables has strong requirements for
heterogeneous arrays as well, and most of my efforts lately have been to
locate the flaws in that area and reporting them properly to the NumPy issue
tracker. Fortunately, at the NumPy end there was a formidable team (and in
particular, a formidable Travis Oliphant) ready for eat all bugs that I was
able to provide.  As a result, I'd say that NumPy is quite mature for dealing
with arrays of records as well, which is great news :-)

Cheers!

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"