Things to address for Py3K

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Oct 11 14:41:11 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Py3K is undergoing active development.  This gives us an opportunity to
discuss more significant changes to the language that might improve the
experience of NumPy users.

We should form a list and start commenting on the py3k mailing lists
about what changes would be most  helpful for our community.

Please provide examples of changes to Python that you think might help us.

A couple on my short list

1) Adding a *few* new infix operators.

   a) an extra multiplication operator to distinguish between
element-by-element and dot
   b) extending 'and' and 'or' to allow element-by-element logical
operations or adding && and ||

2) Lowering the precedence of & so that a > 8 & a < 10  works as you
would expect.