Testing numpy without doing an installation?

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Fri Oct 13 10:08:52 EDT 2006

Hi,

Is it possible to test a numpy version directly from the source
directory without having to install it? I mean, if I compile the sources
and try to use the package directly from there, I get unexpected
results. For example:

$ export PYTHONPATH=/home/faltet/python.nobackup/numpy/trunk
$ python2.4 -c "import numpy;print numpy.dtype([('col1', '(1,)i4')])"
Running from numpy source directory.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'dtype'

It would be nice to have a way of testing a recently built version of
numpy prior to install it.

Thanks,

--
>0,0<   Francesc Altet     http://www.carabos.com/
V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"

"Be careful about using the following code --
 I've only proven that it works, I haven't tested it." -- Donald Knuth