A reimplementation of MaskedArray

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at mailcan.com
Mon Oct 16 02:32:20 EDT 2006

Folks,
I just posted on the scipy/developers zone wiki
(http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/MaskedArray) a reimplementation
of the masked_array mopdule, motivated by some problems I ran into while
subclassing MaskedArray.

The main differences with the initial numpy.core.ma package are that
MaskedArray is now a subclass of ndarray and that the _data section can now
be any subclass of ndarray (well, it should work in most cases, some tweaking
might required here and there). Apart from a couple of issues listed below,
the behavior of the new MaskedArray class reproduces the old one. It is quite
likely to be significantly slower, though: I was more interested in a clear
organization than in performance, so I tended to use wrappers liberally. I'm
sure we can improve that rather easily.

The new module, along with a test suite and some utilities, are available
here:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/attachment/wiki/MaskedArray/maskedarray.py
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/attachment/wiki/MaskedArray/masked_testutils.py
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/attachment/wiki/MaskedArray/test_maskedarray.py

Please note that it's still a work in progress (even if it seems to work quite
OK when I use it). Suggestions, comments, improvements and general feedback
are more than welcome !