A reimplementation of MaskedArray

Michael Sorich michael.sorich at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 22:08:50 EDT 2006

Does this new MA class allow masking of rearray like arrays? The numpy
(1.0b5) version does not seem to. e.g.

from numpy import *

desc = [('name','S30'),('age',int8),('weight',float32)]
a = array([('Bill',31,260.0),('Fred', 15, 145.0)], dtype=desc)
print a[0]
print a['name']

a2 = ma.array([('Bill',31,260.0),('Fred', 15, 145.0)], dtype=desc,
mask=ma.nomask)
print a2[0]
print a2['name']

a3 = ma.array([('Bill',31,260.0),('Fred', 15, 145.0)], dtype=desc,
mask=[[True,False,False],[False,False, False]])
print a3[0]
print a3['name']

-- output

('Bill', 31, 260.0)
[Bill Fred]
('Bill', 31, 260.0)
[Bill Fred]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\eclipse\Table\scripts\testrecarray.py", line 12, in ?
    a3 = ma.array([('Bill',31,260.0),('Fred', 15, 145.0)], dtype=desc,
mask=[[True,False,False],[False,False, False]])
  File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\numpy\core\ma.py", line 592, in __init__
    raise MAError, "Mask and data not compatible."
numpy.core.ma.MAError: Mask and data not compatible.