The NumPy Fortran-ordering quiz

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Wed Oct 18 13:51:04 EDT 2006

One thing that may be confusing the issue is that, as I understand it,
FORTRAN and CONTIGUOUS together represent three states which I'll call
FORTRAN_ORDER, C_ORDER and DISCONTIGUOUS. I periodically wonder if it
would be valuable to have a way to query the order directly: the result
would be "C", "F" or None, just like the order keyword that is passed
in. This might well eliminate sine confusion. However, 99% of the time
the order just doesn't matter, so it's probably pointless.

-tim