Strange and hard to reproduce crash

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Oct 23 18:10:31 EDT 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> two colleagues have been seeing occasional crashes from very
> long-running code which uses numpy.  We've now gotten a backtrace from
> one such crash, unfortunately it uses a build from a few days ago:

This looks like a reference-count problem on the data-type objects
(probably one of the builtin ones is trying to be released).  The
reference count problem is probably hard to track down.

A quick fix is to not allow the built-ins to be "freed" (the attempt
should never be made, but if it is, then we should just incref the
reference count and continue rather than die).

Ideally, the reference count problem should be found, but other-wise
I'll just insert some print statements if the attempt is made, but not
actually do it as a safety measure.

-Travis