indexing with arrays of indexes and +=

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Tue Oct 24 10:58:24 EDT 2006

It is clear to me that the numpy += operator in combination with the use
of arrays of indexes, as is explained in the Tentative Numpy Tutorial
(http://www.scipy.org/Tentative_NumPy_Tutorial#head-3f4d28139e045a442f78c5218c379af64c2c8c9e),
the limitation being that indexes that appear more than 1 time in the
indexes-array will get incremented only once.

Does anybody know a way to work around this?

I am using this to fill up a custom nd-histogram, and obviously each bin
should be able to get incremented more than once. Looping over the
entire array and incrementing each bin succesively takes waaay to long
(these are pretty large arrays, like 4000x2000 items, or even larger)

Cheers,

Vincent