Unit test error with numpy rc3

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Oct 24 12:31:30 EDT 2006

Mark Hymers wrote:
> On Thu, 19, Oct, 2006 at 08:29:26AM -0600, Travis Oliphant spoke thus..
>
>> Actually, you shouldn't be getting an INF at all.    This is what the
>> test is designed to test for (so I guess it's working).  The test was
>> actually written wrong and was never failing because previously keyword
>> arguments to ufuncs were ignored.
>>
>> Can you show us what 'a' is on your platform.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I've just done a Mac OS X PPC build of the SVN trunk and am getting this
> failure too.

I thought we had this fixed.

The basic problem is that the longfloat type is not very
cross-platform.   The functionality depends on your C-compiler /
platform when a long double is specified as the type.   I suspect it
doesn't work well with all compilers.  In particular gcc 3.3 on apple I
know has trouble with the long double type.

Bascially, the "failure" is a failure of the platform.  The best we can
do in NumPy is not run the test or print something instead of raising an
error.

> nidesk046:~/scratch/upstream/scipy mark$ python
> Python 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 31 2005, 00:05:10)
> [GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)] on darwin

> '1.0.dev3378'

> dtype('float64')

> dtype('float128')

Please show us what N.array([1000],dtype=N.longfloat).itemsize is?

-Travis