numpy - scipy version hell

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 23:58:28 EDT 2006

Robert Kern <robert.kern <at> gmail.com> writes:

> It looks like you linked against a FORTRAN LAPACK, but didn't manage to link
the
> FORTRAN runtime library libg2c. Can you give us the output of your build?

I just installed Numpy, ATLAS and LAPACK on Centos a few hours ago and I got the
exact same error. You're right, libg2c is never linked. Here's a sample line
from the linking:

gcc -pthread -shared build/temp.linux-i686-2.4/numpy/linalg/lapack_litemodule.o
-L/usr/local/lib/atlas/ -llapack -lptf77blas -lptcblas -latlas -o
build/lib.linux-i686-2.4/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so

I've been looking into numpy's distutils for the last hour or so but didn't
track down the problem yet; something seems to be broken with Redhat's setup...

George