glibc invalid pointer error

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Mon Oct 30 17:36:32 EST 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:

>On 10/30/06, David Huard <david.huard at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>I have a script that crashes, but only if it runs over 9~10 hours, with the
>>following backtrace from gdb. The script uses PyMC, and repeatedly calls (>
>>1000000) likelihood functions written in fortran and wrapped with f2py.
>>Numpy: 1.0.dev3327
>>Python: 2.4.3
>>

>This sounds awfully reminiscent of the bug I recently mentioned:
>
>http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/numpy-discussion/3312099
>
>We left a fresh run over the weekend, but my office mate is currently
>out of the office and his terminal is locked, so I don't know what the
>result is.  I'll report shortly: we followed Travis' instructions and
>ran with a fresh SVN build which includes the extra warnings he added
>to the dealloc routines.  You may want to try the same advice, perhaps
>with information from both of us the gurus may zero in on the problem,
>if indeed it is the same.

I talked about the reference counting issue.  One problem is not
incrementing the reference count when it needs to be.  The other problem
could occur if the reference-count was not decremented when it needed to
be and the reference count wrapped from MAX_LONG to 0.  This could also
create the problem and would be expected for "long-running" processes.

-Travis