round

David Goldsmith David.L.Goldsmith at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 12 02:03:02 EDT 2006

Charles R Harris wrote:

> On 10/11/06, *Greg Willden* <gregwillden at gmail.com
> <mailto:gregwillden at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All,
>
>     I've read discussions in the archives about how round() "rounds to
>     even" and how that is supposedly better.
>
>     But what I haven't been able to find is "What do I use if I want
>     the regular old round that you learn in school?"
>

> Perhaps you could explain *why* you want the schoolbook round? Given
> that floating point is inherently inaccurate you would have to expect
> to produce a lot of numbers exactly of the form x.5 *without errors*,
> which means you probably don't need round to deal with it. Anyway,
> absent a flag somewhere, you can do something like (x +
> sign(x)*.5).astype(int).
>
> Chuck
Also, where did you go to school?  In Fairfax County, VA in the 80's at
least, they were teaching "round to even"; since that time, I've taught
math in a variety of locations and settings and with a variety of texts,
and where I have seen the issue addressed, it's always "round to even"
(or, as I learned it, "the rule of fives").

DG