Should numpy.sqrt(-1) return 1j rather than nan?

David Goldsmith David.L.Goldsmith at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 12 02:15:33 EDT 2006

Sven Schreiber wrote:
> Travis Oliphant schrieb:
>

>>> If not, shouldn't
>>>

>>> numpy.sqrt(-1) raise a ValueError instead of returning silently nan?
>>>

>> This is user adjustable.  You change the error mode to raise on
>> 'invalid' instead of pass silently which is now the default.
>>
>> -Travis
>>

> Could you please explain how this adjustment is done, or point to the
> relevant documentation.
> Thank you,
> Sven

I'm glad you asked this, Sven, 'cause I was thinking that if making this
"user adjustment" is this advanced (I too have no idea what you're
talking about, Travis), then this would be another significant strike
against numpy (but I was holding my tongue, since I'd just let fly in my
previous email).

DG