Problem buliding rc2 on OS X 10.3.9/Python2.5

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 12:32:47 EDT 2006

Jay Parlar wrote:
> In the process of finally switching over to Python 2.5, and am trying
> to build numpy. Unfortunately, it dies during the build:

> C compiler: gcc -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot
> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double
> -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3
>
> compile options:
> '-I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include/python2.5
> -Inumpy/core/src -Inumpy/core/include
> -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include/python2.5
> -c'
> gcc: _configtest.c
> gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
> gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
> failure.

This is the problem. Are you sure that you are using the correct version of gcc
for making Universal binaries on 10.3.9? If so, then we are not passing the
correct flags to it. Unfortunately, I think that the Universal stuff is going to
make our lives quite complicated.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."