[SciPy-dev] NumPy/SciPy + MPI for Python

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sat Oct 14 12:54:41 EDT 2006

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 10:50:36AM -0600, Charles R Harris wrote:
>      So, well, any suggestion for a name? pylab is already in use by
>      matplotlib (for some reason), as is Scientific Python (and numpy,
>      Numeric and numarray are obviously already confusing).

>    supernumpy?

    I think we should rather build upon scipy, rather than numpy, if we
want to build upon an existing name. Numpy is low-level array
manipulation, scipy is all the fancy math that goes above, so it make
more sens to derive a name on scipy. Besides scipy.org is already a good
rallying point for scientific computing with python

    How about scipylab ! :->

--
    Gaël