A way to compute a 2d histogram

Nicolas Champavert nicolas.champavert at obs.univ-lyon1.fr
Wed Oct 25 07:56:04 EDT 2006

Hi,

    there is a problem when using this patch of numpy.histogram2d.
I've tried:
    a=pylab.rand(10)
    numpy.histogram2d(a,a)
and there is an exception (exceptions.AttributeError) in
numpy.histogramdd function called by numpy.histogram2d.
But numpy.histogram2d(a,a,bins=[10,10]) works.
So I've tried to use directly numpy.histogramdd function:
    numpy.histogramdd([a,a])
and it works.
I've looked at the histogram2d code:
    try:
        N = len(bins)
    except TypeError:
        N = 1
        bins = [bins]
I think the last line (bins = [bins]) have to be deleted because if  you
do so, numpy.histogram2d(a,a) works.
Or maybe the good think to do is:
try:
        N = len(bins)