[Numpy-discussion] Problem with concatenate and object arrays

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 17:54:06 EDT 2006

Charles R Harris wrote:
> On 9/3/06, *Fernando Perez* <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
> <mailto:Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I'm wondering if the following difference in behavior of object
>     arrays should
>     be considered a bug.  Let a and b be:
>
>     In [21]: a = [0,1]
>
>     In [22]: b = [ None, None]
>
>     If we concatenate a with an empty list, it works:
>
>     In [23]: numpy.concatenate(([],a))
>     Out[23]: array([0, 1])
>
>     But not so for b:
>
>     In [24]: numpy.concatenate(([],b))
>     ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     exceptions.ValueError                                 Traceback
>     (most recent
>     call last)
>
>     /home/fperez/<ipython console>
>
>     ValueError: 0-d arrays can't be concatenated
>

> I think it's propably a bug:
>
>  >>> concatenate((array([]),b))
> array([None, None], dtype=object)

Well, if you can fix it without breaking anything else, then it's a bug.

However, I would suggest that a rule of thumb for using object arrays is to
always be explicit. Never rely on automatic conversion from Python containers to
object arrays. Since Python containers are also objects, it is usually ambiguous
what the user meant.

I kind of liked numarray's choice to move the object array into a separate
constructor. I think that gave them some flexibility to choose different syntax
and semantics from the generic array() constructor. Since constructing object
arrays is so different from constructing numeric arrays, I think that difference
is warranted.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."