[Numpy-discussion] Problem with concatenate and object arrays

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Wed Sep 6 19:39:35 EDT 2006

Charles R Harris wrote:

> Where is array at this point?
Basically it supports the old Numeric behavior wherein object array's
are treated as before *except* for when an error would have occurred
previously when the "new behavior" kicks in.  Anything that violates
that is a bug needing to be fixed.

This leaves the new object-array constructor used less often.  It could
be exported explicitly into an oarray constructor, but I'm not sure
about the advantages of that approach.   There are benefits to having
object arrays constructed in the same way as other arrays.  It turns out
many people actually like that feature of Numeric, which is the reason I
didn't go the route of numarray which pulled object arrays out.

At this point, however, object arrays can even be part of records and so
need to be an integral part of the data-type description.   Pulling that
out is not going to happen.  A more intelligent object-array
constructor, however, may be a useful tool.

-Travis