[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.0 release-candidate 1.0 this weekend

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Thu Sep 14 11:10:19 EDT 2006

El dj 14 de 09 del 2006 a les 02:11 -0700, en/na Andrew Straw va
escriure:
> >> My main focus is on the fact that you might read '<i4' as
> >> "less" than 4-bytes int, which is very confusing !
> >>

> > I can agree it's confusing at first, but it's the same syntax the struct
> > module uses which is the Python precedent for this.
> >
> I'm happy with seeing the repr() value since I know what it means, but I
> can see Sebastian's point. Perhaps there's a middle ground -- the str()
> representation for simple dtypes could contain both the repr() value and
> an English description. For example, something along the lines of
> "dtype('<i4') (4 byte integer, little endian)". For more complex dtypes,
> the repr() string could be given without any kind of English translation.

+1

I was very used (and happy) to the numarray string representation for
types ('Int32', 'Complex64'...) and looking at how NumPy represents it
now, I'd say that this is a backwards step in readability. Something
like '<i4' would look good for a low-level library, but not for a
high-level one like NumPy, IMO.

Cheers,

--
>0,0<   Francesc Altet     http://www.carabos.com/