[Numpy-discussion] how to get info about internals of an array object ?

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Fri Sep 15 15:49:56 EDT 2006

Sebastian Haase wrote:

>On Friday 15 September 2006 10:00, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>

>>Sebastian Haase wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>what I'm asking is if numpy has an equivalent to numarray's info()
>>>

>function:

>>numpy.numarray.info(numpy.arange(10))
>>
>>(get recent SVN as there were some bugs just fixed.
>>
>>-Travis
>>

>Thanks,
>
>should this maybe also be added somewhere in the numpy module itself !?
>I guess the question is, what the original intent was for numarray to put it
>in (only for debugging ?) -- then we could decide if this would also make
>sense for numpy.
>
>I have never used numpy.info(obj) - I don't know what is does (compared to
>__doc__)

It prints the doc string of an object searching for it better than help
seems to do and without a "pager".

Compare numpy.info(numpy.sin) versus help(numpy.sin)

I don't know what the info method was for other than debugging.

What about having the __doc__ attribute of an ndarray return the info?

-Travis