[Numpy-discussion] Fwd: Collection.findTransformation() never stops

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Sep 19 02:43:15 EDT 2006

Dr. Seth Olsen wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> MMTK has not made the conversion over to the new numpy module.  It is
> built against the old Numeric code, and the word from its developers
> is that changing to numpy cannot be a priority now.

My suggestion is to *kindly* put pressure on them.

I've spent at least a hundred hours making it easy for people to port
Numeric and Numarray-built code to NumPy.    Because of this, I'm a
little bit frustrated by this kind of response.  I understand it will
take time for people to migrate, but it really does not take that long
to port code to use NumPy.

I've offered to do it for any open source code.   In fact, I just spent
30 minutes and ported both Scientific Python and MMTK to use numpy.
I'll send you a patch if you want.     It is true, that the result needs
to be better tested, but I'm confident that any errors which might
remain in the compatibility layer will be easily fixable (and we need
people who are willing to do the tests to fix them).

I'd rather not do this, but if necessary we can easily create an SVN
tree of third-party packages ported to use NumPy if the package-owners
are not willing to do it.   Keeping Numeric packages around except for
legacy systems will only make things harder.

I'll repeat the same offer I've made before:  I will gladly give my book
and my help to any open source library author who will make porting to
NumPy a priority for their package.  Note, however, my (free) ports to
use NumPy do not use any "numerix-style" layer.  The library is
converted to work with NumPy alone.  In other words, I won't spend any
more "spare" time supporting 3 array packages.

Best regards,

-Travis