[Numpy-discussion] how to compile numpy with visual-studio-2003?

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Thu Sep 28 09:26:33 EDT 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> mg wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just download the newly Python-2.5 and Numpy-1.0rc1 and all work fine
>> on Linux-x86 32 and 64bit platforms.
>> Now, I try to compile the both distributions on WindowsXP with
>> VisualStudio2003. No problem to compile Python-2.5, but i have some
>> troubles with Numpy-1.0rc1 and I didn't find any help in the provided
>> setup.py. So, does someone can tell me how to do it?
>>

> I don't use VisualStudio2003 on Windows to compile NumPy (I use mingw).
> Tim Hochberg once used a microsoft compiler to compile a previous
> version of NumPy and some things had to be fixed to make it work.  I'm
> not sure if some in-compatibilities have crept in since then or not.
> But, I'd sure like to resolve it if they have.
>
> So, please post what problems you are having.  You may be the first
> person to try a microsoft compiler with Python 2.5

It was VS2003 that I used to compile numpy. However, I switched boxes a
while ago and I haven't got around to trying to compile on the new box,
I've just been using the released builds. So I'm not much help at the
moment. Things are clearing up a little bit here, so maybe I can carve
some time out to get things set up to compile in the next couple days.
If so I'll let you know what I find.

-tim