[Numpy-discussion] visual programming

Bryan Cole bryan at cole.uklinux.net
Mon Sep 18 17:53:33 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 09:29 -0700, Mathew Yeates wrote:
> semi off topic.
> Does anyone know of any good visual programming tools? Forever ago, I
> used to use something called Khoros for image processing and I found it
> very useful. You connect boxes which represent different processing
> steps. At about the same time, there was something similar to Khoros
> from SGI. Explorer was its name, I think.

Looking at the Khoros commercial site (now AccuSoft), it looks like a
more polished version of OpenDX (which also offers a visual programming
system). See http://www.opendx.org/index2.php

The problem with OpenDX is the cr*ppy Motif-based GUI (particularly so
if you use Windows). I prefer VTK (www.vtk.org) which offers similar
concepts (pipeline execution of data filtering/visualisation blocks) but
in a programmatic form based on python (which we like...).

BC