[Numpy-discussion] feasability study to migrate from numarray to numpy

Tue Sep 19 04:48:37 EDT 2006

Hi Travis,

First, thanks for your answer.

I just download the source of Numpy from the SVN and recompile the
package from Python-2.5 and 2.6a (from svn)... and it still crashes. So
I do not investigate the compilation on Windows. So, may I have to wait
the release 1.0rc0 of Numpy?

About the migration of our python scripts, we can keep contact to help
you to test the transcription tool. It is a good idea.

About the Numpy API, we prefer to use the native C-Numpy-API in our
code. I think it will offer more flexibilities in our generic C++
framework, particularly in our main object (named Field) which use the
aliasing memory feature. Nevertheless, the first step of our migration
could be using the numarray interface before using the native interface.
It could be another test for you.

Finally, your description of what i call "aliasing memory" is good. So
it is a very good point for us that it is supported.

Best regards,
- Mathieu