[Numpy-discussion] reload and f2py

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Sep 26 15:49:28 EDT 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:

>On 9/26/06, George Nurser <gnurser at googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>>I'm running Python 2.3.5 with recent SVN f2py.
>>
>>Suppose I import an extension I have built with f2py. Then, if I edit
>>the fortran and recompile the extension, I cannot use reload to use
>>the modified version within the same Python session.
>>
>>I believe this is an problem with Python, that reload doesn't work
>>with externally compiled extensions.
>>

>As far as I know, you are correct.

On many systems there is an "unload" command similar to a shared-library
load command which Python uses to load shared libraries.   But, this is
not performed by Python.  I've wondered for awhile if a suitable use of
such a command in an extension module would allow "reloading" of shared
libraries.

-Travis