[Numpy-discussion] Newbie Questio: Unused in wild import

Steve Lianoglou lists.steve at arachnedesign.net
Fri Apr 13 10:25:55 EDT 2007

Hi Víctor,

> I'm really new to Python and SciPy and having a strange problem.
> I've installed Python 2.5 on Windows, numpy (last version), Eclipse
> 3.2
> and latest PyDev extensions.
>
> When importing numpy ("from numpy import *") the next warning is
> issued :
>
> Unused in wild import: from buffer, c_, FLOATING_POINT_SUPPORT, time,
>
> ... and a lot of symbol name ...

I don't get this problem myself. I'm using Eclipse 3.2, PyDev 1.3.1,
Python 2.4.4, and on a Mac, but perhaps it's some change I've made in
the:

Preferences > Pydev > PyDev Extension > Code Analysis > * preferences.

Perhaps this would be better addressed on the PyDev user forums
(hosted on sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?
forum_id=293649)?

Also, as a "point of style," in general I think it's not the best to
use the `from something import *` idiom, and a bit better to do
something like `import numpy as N` (or some other (very short)
namespace prefix (like np)).

-steve