[Numpy-discussion] Question about Optimization (Inline and Pyrex)

Anne Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 15:23:04 EDT 2007

On 17/04/07, Francesc Altet <faltet at carabos.com> wrote:

> Finally, don't let benchmarks fool you. If you can, it is always better
> to run your own benchmarks made of your own problems. A tool that can be
> killer for one application can be just mediocre for another (that's
> somewhat extreme, but I hope you get the point).

And, also important, don't forget that the time you usually care about
is the time until you obtain a correct solution of your problem -
which includes the time to write the code and the time to debug the
code. I find that it's extremely rare that the extra time it takes to
write highly-optimized code is worth the time it saves to run.

Anne M. Archibald