[Numpy-discussion] building numpy with atlas on ubuntu edgy

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 13:00:15 EDT 2007

On 4/18/07, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/17/07, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> > Now that you mention it, I am also puzzled by this one: I can see why
> > you would use atlas3-sse2-dev without atlas3-base-dev (for the static
> > library), but not having atlas3-base-dev makes it imposible to
> > dynamically link to atlas libraries without customizing makefiles and/or
> > configure options.
>
> I'd like to compile atlas so that I can take full advantage of my core
> 2 duo. Numpy dynamically links to the debian binary of atlas-sse that
> I installed. But the atlas website says that they recommend static
> linking.
>
> Which do you recommend, static or dynamic? Are there good directions for
> either?

I don't know which is best, although I suspect the statically linked version
will be larger. It might seem that just pulling in the gemm routines
wouldn't add much, but they pull in lots of supporting routines. To get
numpy to link statically you will also probably need to have a directory
that contains only the *.a versions because the linker will default to the
*.so if they are present; i don't think there is a way to specify the
-static flag to the gcc compiler. Maybe someone else knows how to do that.
For ATLAS, I believe the latest versions are also recommended because the
stable version is so old.

Chuck