[Numpy-discussion] ANN: SciPy 2007 Conference

Travis Vaught travis at enthought.com
Tue Apr 17 09:02:55 EDT 2007

Greetings,

The *SciPy 2007 Conference* has been scheduled for mid-August at
CalTech.

http://www.scipy.org/SciPy2007

Here's the rough schedule:

Tutorials:   August 14-15 (Tuesday and Wednesday)
Conference:  August 16-17 (Thursday and Friday)
Sprints:     August 18    (Saturday)

Exciting things are happening in the Python community, and the SciPy
2007 Conference is an excellent opportunity to exchange ideas, learn
techniques, contribute code and affect the direction of scientific
computing (or just to learn what all the fuss is about).  Last year's
conference saw a near-doubling of attendance to 138, and we're
looking forward to continued gains in participation.  We'll be
announcing the Keynote Speaker and providing a detailed schedule in
the coming weeks.

Registration:
-------------
Registration is now open.

You may register online at https://www.enthought.com/scipy07.  Early
registration for the conference is $150.00 and includes breakfast and
lunch Thursday & Friday and a very nice dinner Thursday night.
Tutorial registration is an additional $75.00.  After July 15, 2007,
conference registration will increase to $200.00 (tutorial
registration will remain the same at $75.00).

Call for Presenters
-------------------
If you are interested in presenting at the conference, you may submit
an abstract in Plain Text, PDF or MS Word formats to
abstracts at scipy.org -- the deadline for abstract submission is July
6, 2007.  Papers and/or presentation slides are acceptable and are
due by August 3, 2007.

Tutorial Sessions
-----------------
Last year's conference saw an overwhelming turnout for our first-ever
tutorial sessions.  In order to better accommodate the community
interest in tutorials, we've expanded them to 2 days and are
providing food (requiring us to charge a modest fee for tutorials
this year).

A tentative list of topics for tutorials includes:

- Wrapping Code with Python (extension module development)
- Building Rich Scientific Applications with Python
- Using SciPy for Statistical Analysis
- Using SciPy for Signal Processing and Image Processing
- Using Python as a Scientific IDE/Workbench
- Others...

This is a preliminary list; topics will change and be extended.

If you'd like to present a tutorial, or are interested in a
particular topic for a tutorial, please email the SciPy users mailing
list (link below).  A current list will be maintained here:

http://www.scipy.org/SciPy2007/Tutorials

Coding Sprints
We've dedicated the Saturday after the conference for a Coding
Sprint.  Please include any ideas for Sprint topics on the Sprints
wiki page here: http://www.scipy.org/SciPy2007/Sprints

We're looking forward to another great conference!

Best,

Travis