[Numpy-discussion] Oddity with numpy.int64 integer division

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Apr 24 17:46:59 EDT 2007

> Personally I'd opt for completely following Python here, with the
> C-like integer division and mod operators available as appropriately
> named ufuncs somewhere. It's a backwards incompatible change though,
> so it'd have to wait till at least a minor realease.

I'm supportive of following Python and retaining the invariant.

This could be regarded as a bug, because NumPy 1.0 changed the mod
operators to be compatible with Python but did not change the division
operators to perserve the invariant.

Given that this is the first time I've heard complaints, I suspect that
changing this will have very few detractors, and while I'm hesistant
because of potential backward incompatibilities, would be willing to
make the change in Numpy 1.0.3

-Travis