[Numpy-discussion] Oddity with numpy.int64 integer division

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Tue Apr 24 20:20:13 EDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Timothy Hochberg apparently wrote:
> Personally I'd opt for completely following Python here,
> with the C-like integer division and mod operators
> available as appropriately named ufuncs somewhere. It's
> a backwards incompatible change though, so it'd have to
> wait till at least a minor realease.

This is one of those places where looking forward appears to
produce a different suggestion than looking backward.

That is, looking backward, we emphasize compatability with
extant code.  Looking forward we put more weight on removing
"gotcha" features from numpy, with an eye on an expanding
user base.

In my opinion, opting to maintain backward compatability
here is opting to retain a "gotcha".  I hope Tim's
suggestion is realized, and that backward compatability is
again enabled through the compatability module.  I'm happy
that Travis appears amenable to this.

A user's opinion,
Alan Isaac