[Numpy-discussion] matlab vs. python question

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 15:46:13 EDT 2007

On 4/26/07, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sturla Molden wrote:
> > On 4/25/2007 8:34 PM, Robert Kern wrote:
> >
> >> The things that I get annoyed with every time I have to read some Matlab code
> >> are the lack of namespaces and first-class function objects.
> >
> > Matlab does have first-class function objects. You can get a handle to
> > any function using the @ operator. Matlab has closures as well.
>
> I wish people would use them, then.

I think part of the problem is that most people who learn Matlab learn
it in school strictly as a computing tool rather than a programming
language.  But there are many language features that people just don't
know about, because writing nice programs is not usually the emphasis
in the courses where Matlab is taught and used.

Python is better generally as a language, although the self. thing
makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes.  I find myself bending
over backwards to avoid creating classes just because converting a
function into a method generally results in an annoying amount of
self.this self.that self.theother junk.

--bb