[Numpy-discussion] matlab vs. python question

Steve Lianoglou lists.steve at arachnedesign.net
Thu Apr 26 08:19:50 EDT 2007

> Beside proper programing paradigm Python easily scales to large-
> scale number crunching: You can run large-matrices calculations
> with about 1/2 to 1/4 of memory consumption comparing to Matlab.

Is that really true? (The large-matrix number crunching, not the
proper programming paradigm ;-)

By no scientific means of evaluation, I was under the impression that
the opposite was true to a smaller degree.

Also, a lot of the times that I'm dealing with extremely large
matrices, they're of the sparse variety, which matlab currently
handles with a bit more ease (and transparency) to the user.

-steve