[Numpy-discussion] [Python-3000] PEP 31XX: A Type Hierarchy for Numbers (and other algebraic entities)

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Thu Apr 26 13:26:18 EDT 2007

> Jeffrey, is there any way you can drop the top of the tree and going
> straight from Number to Complex -> Real -> Rational -> Integer? These
> are the things that everyone with high school math will know.

I think knowledge of the concepts of group, ring, and field is
supposed to be standard knowledge for any high-school senior -- isn't
this what the "new math" was all about?.  But they're pretty
fundamental to computer science; anyone trying to do serious work in
the field (that is, anyone with a reason to read the PEP) should have
a nodding acquaintance with them.

Bill