[Numpy-discussion] arctan2 with complex args

lorenzo bolla lbolla at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 03:06:17 EDT 2007

me!
I have two cases.

   1. I need that arctan2(1+0.00000001j,1-0.000001j) gives something
   close to arctan2(1,1): any decent analytic prolungation will do!
   2. if someone of you is familiar with electromagnetic problems, in
   particular with Snell's law, will recognize that in case of total
   internal reflection<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_internal_reflection>the
wavevector tangential to the interface is real, while the normal one
is
   purely imaginary: hence the angle of diffraction is still given by
   arctan2(k_tangent, k_normal), that, as in Matlab or Octave, should give pi/2
   (that physically means no propagation -- total internal reflection, as
   said).

L.