[Numpy-discussion] numpy arrays, data allocation and SIMD alignement

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Fri Aug 3 11:12:44 EDT 2007

Dear David,

Both ideas, particularly the 2nd, would be excellent additions to numpy.
I often use the Intel IPP (Integrated Performance Primitives) Library
together with numpy, but I have to do all my memory allocation with the
IPP to ensure fastest operation. I then create numpy views of the data.
All this works brilliantly, but it would be really nice if I could
allocate the memory directly in numpy.

IPP allocates, and says it wants, 32 byte aligned memory (see, e.g.
http://www.intel.com/support/performancetools/sb/CS-021418.htm ). Given
that fftw3 apparently wants 16 byte aligned memory, my feeling is that,
  if the effort is made, the alignment width should be specified at
run-time, rather than hard-coded.

In terms of implementation of your 1st point, I'm not aware of how much
effort your idea would take (and it does sound nice), but some benefit
would be had just from a simple function numpy.is_mem_aligned( ndarray,
width=16 ) which returns a bool.

Cheers!
Andrew