[Numpy-discussion] comparing arrays with NaN in them.

Timothy Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Fri Aug 24 12:15:09 EDT 2007

On 8/24/07, Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
[SNIP]

> You can have several  different NaN,
>
> You can? I thought NaN was defined by IEEE 754 as a particular bit
> pattern (one for each precision, anyway).

There's more than one way to spell NaN in binary and they tend to mean
different things IIRC. Signalling NaNs and quiet NaNs and all of that. (Can
you tell how superficial my knowledge is here, good).

However, if you are inserting the NaNs yourself as placeholders, then they
should all be the same kind and a binary comparison should be fine.

[SNIP]

-Chris

> --
> Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
> Oceanographer
>
> Emergency Response Division
> 7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax
>
> Chris.Barker at noaa.gov

.  __
.   |-\
.