[Numpy-discussion] linear algebra error?

F Bitonti frankb.mail at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 12:41:29 EDT 2007

I am trying to install the linear algebra package from the NumPy package and
i keep getting this error. I have the most recent version of numpy
1.0.3.1.<http://python-forum.org/py/viewtopic.php?t=5234>

this is the error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\linalg\setup.py", line 31, in
<module>
setup(configuration=configuration)
File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\numpy\distutils\core.py", line 113, in
setup
return setup(**attr)
File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\numpy\distutils\core.py", line 173, in
setup
return old_setup(**new_attr)
File "C:\Python25\lib\distutils\core.py", line 168, in setup
raise SystemExit, "error: " + str(msg)
SystemExit: error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible
binaries.
Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin
installed,
you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

However, I was told that the reason I am getting this error is because the
linear algebra module is already installed yet it dosn't seem to be becaues
when I exectue the following commands i get these error messages. Am I doing
someting wrong I have only been using python two days.

>>> from numpy import *
>>> from linalg import *

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in <module>
    from linalg import *
ImportError: No module named linalg
>>> a = reshape(arange(25.0), (5,5)) + identity(5)
>>> print a
[[  1.   1.   2.   3.   4.]
 [  5.   7.   7.   8.   9.]
 [ 10.  11.  13.  13.  14.]
 [ 15.  16.  17.  19.  19.]
 [ 20.  21.  22.  23.  25.]]
>>> inv_a = inverse(a)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#4>", line 1, in <module>
    inv_a = inverse(a)
NameError: name 'inverse' is not defined

Thank you for any help you can provide.