[Numpy-discussion] python-numpy debian package and f2py

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Mon Dec 3 06:16:09 EST 2007

Hi Pearu,

On Dec 3, 2007 11:22 AM, Pearu Peterson <pearu at cens.ioc.ee> wrote:

> Some additional notes:
>
> - note that f2py in numpy and in python-f2py are *different*
> tools and therefore python-f2py should not be considered
> depreciated more than python-numeric is. So, python-f2py
> should stay provided python-numeric is there. It might be
> appropiate to rename python-f2py to python-f2py2e.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I didn't realize Debian still ships
Numerics. Now I think Numerics should stay (still there
are people using it) and also the (old) python-f2py should stay,
because of course it is needed.

And the new f2py will just be part of the python-numpy package. I
created a wiki that explains all of it:

http://wiki.debian.org/python-numpy

Feel free to edit it.

> - the conflict between f2py scripts can be easily resolved
> by renaming f2py script in python-f2py package to, say,
> f2py2e (that would be an simple change in f2py2e/setup.py file).
> The f2py script in numpy has --2d-numeric switch
> that when used would import f2py2e package instead of numpy.f2py.

Actually, we'll just conflict with the python-numpy package with the
python-f2py package and that's it. This is actually how it is now,
but I thought that it is more appropriate to have a separate binary
package for f2py, but now I don't think so.

Thanks,
Ondrej