[Numpy-discussion] Changing the distributed binary for numpy 1.0.4 for windows ?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 01:04:09 EST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 12:46 PM, Andrew Straw <strawman at astraw.com> wrote:
> According to the QEMU website, QEMU does not (yet) emulate SSE on x86
> target, so a Windows installation on a QEMU virtual machine may be a
> good way to build binaries free of these issues.
> http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-tech.html
I tried this, this does not work (it actually emulates SSE). I went
further, and managed to disable SSE support in qemu...

But again, what's the point:  it takes ages to compile (qemu without
the hardware accelerator is slow, like ten times slower), and you will
end up with a really bad atlas, since atlas optimizaton is entirely
based on runtime timers, which do not make sense anymore.

I mean, really, what's the point of doing all this compared to using
blas/lapack from netlib ? In practice, is it really slower ? For what
? I know I don't care so much, and I am a heavy user of numpy.

David