[Numpy-discussion] Changing the distributed binary for numpy 1.0.4 for windows ?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 13:43:23 EST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 11:04 AM, Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> Fernando Perez wrote:
> > a simple, reasonable solution that is likely to work: ship TWO
> > binaries of Numpy/Scipy each time:
> >
> > 1. {numpy,scipy}-reference: built with the reference blas from netlib,
> > no atlas, period.
> >
> > 2. {}-atlas: built with whatever the developers have at the time,
> > which will likely mean these days a core 2 duo with SSE2 support.
> > What hardware it was built on should be indicated, so people can at
> > least know this fact.
>
> I disagree -- having an atlas version that only works on recent hardware
> is just asking for complaints -- I think the ONLY way to go is for the
> "standard" binary to be universal. Instructions should be provided for
> building other versions, and if third parties want to distribute
> processor-dependent versions, then great, but that's an extra.

Well, what I had in mind was not something that would run *only* on
recent hardware.  A typical Atlas build on a recent box will run with
anything with SSE2, which means boxes as far back as the Pentium4, I
think.  Or is Atlas using anything that's core2-duo-specific in its
build?  At the workshop, the only problem John and I noticed was for
the Pentium III user, and there were plenty of old-looking boxes
around that were most certainly not Core2.

Cheers,