[Numpy-discussion] Changing the distributed binary for numpy 1.0.4 for windows ?

Albert Strasheim fullung at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 01:25:43 EST 2007

Hello all,

> I'm not sure the licensing really makes it possible though. Numpy isn't
> exactly an application, but rather a development tool, so I'm not sure
> how Intel would feel about it being distributed. Also, it looks like
> they require each "developer" to have license, rather than only the
> person building the final binary -- so having the one person building
> the final distro may not be kosher. IANAL.

It comes down to who is allowed to have the link libraries and who isn't. I
doubt whether Intel's license agreement distinguishes between "normal"
programs and "development tools".

If you're a developer, you need the link libraries (.lib files) to link your
program against Intel MKL. According to Intel's redist.txt, you are not
allowed to redistribute these files. Without these files, you can't link a
new program against the Intel MKL DLLs (generally speaking).

You are allowed to redistribute the DLLs (as listed in redist.txt), without
having to pay any further royalties. This means that you give any user the
files they need to run a program you have linked against Intel MKL.

So as I see it, one NumPy developer would need to pay for Intel MKL.

Cheers,

Albert